Email explaination

If you don't have a Google Account, type your email address below and subscribe to my blog that way.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

THE MONSTEROUS ICICLE ! ! !

This thing has taken residency on our back porch and it just keeps growing. 


Now do please note that those who live "up north" will inform me that the reason I have deep ice dams all along my roof and monsterous icicles hanging down every which way is because my home does not have enough insulation and the attic is getting too much warmth from the inside of my house. BUT, I rent and they don't care. The ultimate Mama Bouche consequence is the roof will cave in. But I'll be moved out by then. 


That is the ice dam you see. It's around a foot deep. Short science lesson: Because our attic has inadequate insulation, the attic stays warmer than it should. On warmer attic days, the snow will melt from the bottom and begin to run off the roof but freezes as it hits the eve of the house. So all along the eves of the house, a "dam" has formed. This could potentially build up so deep and so high towards the pitch of the roof that the roof caves in from the weight. Because this is a rent house whose owners don't care enough to come add insulation, let's hope this doesn't happen this winter. Just in case you're wondering, we have around two feet of snow on the roof. Very heavy stuff.

4 comments:

  1. You make a beautiful icecicle model...."give me a w"
    It sounds like maybe yall should move to the attic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basement with the fireplace going, in bed under my electric blanket, or soaking up free heat at Target is about all the options I have for warmth.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should sleep under a fort just in case for the rest of the winter. You look very skinny next to that big icicle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skinniness is a scientific curvature of the prism of light reflecting off the.....Oh, whatever. Thanks Boo I am working hard at the gym. But no fort for me!

      Delete